Dienstag, 13. Oktober 2015

check_mk monitoring SMART values on debian

I was recently setting up check_mk as monitoring solution for my linux servers. It's a very conventient solution and installed in minutes. Now I wanted to go further and monitor the HDD S.M.A.R.T values of the HDD such as temperature.

Adding the plugin

For the additional check, a plugin is required. The plugin comes with the check_mk installation. Since I installed the OMD (Open Monitoring Distribution), the plugins can be found here:

/omd/versions/default/share/check_mk/agents/plugins/

Just copy the plugin called "smart" to the server you're monitoring into the agent plugins folder. I installed the agent using apt, my plugins folder is here
/usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins

Installing smartmontools

Since check_mk uses smartmontools, you'll need this package:

apt-get install smartmontools

Check the output

Run
/usr/bin/check_mk_agent | grep smart
and it should give you a line <<<smart>>> as output.

Reinventorize

Reinventorize your host and you'll see the new SMART values.
That's it. 

Keine Kommentare: